Friday, August 28, 2009

Socks and Updates

I've been avoiding blogging about the recent turn of events in my Lupus, but this is my Lupus blog so I have to suck it up and get it over with. Then I'll write about these socks.

In July, my Rhuemy sent me to a Cardiologist to have an Echocardiogram to check for possible something or other. She determined that my eyesight problems are not coming from my eyes, but most likely from my brain's interpreting center...sigh. So they checked to see if my heart was causing problems with my brain, and then in turn.....with my eyesight. (and my leg bone is connected to my foot bone!!)

In August, the Cardio Doc. says that everything is fine except that I have the symptoms of congestive heart failure as a possible side effect of the Lupus treatment. Congestive heart failure (CHF), or heart failure, is a condition in which the heart can't pump enough blood to the body's other organs. My heart is currently operating at 55%. The doctor decided not to begin treatment until I have more tests in a month or two. My bloodpressure is currently running about 90/62.

Heart failure is a serious long-term condition, but you can live a full and enjoyable life with the right treatment and active attention to your lifestyle. The treatment is usually very effective at stablizing or even increasing the hearts ouput, but it's expensive for someone without prescription coverage, and it's one of those drugs...once you start it, you don't ever stop.

Ok, so that's the bad news.......The good news is that I finished these beautiful socks!! The yarn came from our last girls trip to Santa Fe. (I dare say, with all due respect, that it's a Noro Knockoff.) The sock yarn is labled as Wisdom Yarns - Poems Sock, superwash wool in a very loosely spun single ply. My only complaint is, it split constantly on me! But, other wise, it was beautiful and very soft. The colors - rich like oil paints. The pattern was a simple 2x2 rib with a twisted knit stitch every fourth row. Deliciously simple but extra comfortable!!




3 comments:

Twilight said...

Like I said before-You're so loving I find it hard to believe you're heart isn't operating at 100%!

Those socks are gorgeous!

Lupie said...

These socks are Awesome!!!!
I go to my Cardio Dr tomorrow.

lunaticraft said...

Sorry to hear about everything. I'll be sending healing thoughts your way!

Beautiful socks, by the way! =D